Friday, January 11, 2013

The moon, stars and days of eternity since 1985

When I saw reviews on this place I was intrigued why people would travel from the city to eat in this shop located in the residential area of Kowloon Bay.

The name of this joint sounds nice too "day, month/moon, star Fast food".

They are famous for their fried chicken legs.

Initially when I first came across the Chinese style fried chicken legs I thought they were weird because they are literally deep fried from raw without any coatings, same with the Chinese style deep fried chicken wings.

They all had this weird oil smell with some spices. The ones I came across before were not so good and the chicken was dry and tough.

But anyway, I was still curious so I went there and tried the chicken legs.

It took me a while to find it because it was on one of those residential alleyways where there were more than one along that street.
When I got there I realised that this shop had been running for more than a decade!
The telephone number on the sign was 7-digits only which means this place was opened before 1995 when the eight digit telephone number was introduced with an additional number 2 infront.
The menu was quite complicated since there was so much information on the walls of the shop.

In the end I ordered just the chicken leg.
While I was waiting I got my answer on their takeaway menu and they have been in business for 27 years, so they must have opened in 1985!~!
Since then they have seen the digital era involve from land phones to huge mobile phones to smart phones and the introduction of the world wide web!

The chicken leg was ready in a flash!

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Fried chicken leg:
The temperature of the chicken was really hot, so I could not indulge on it right away.
It was smoking with hot air!
Anyway the chicken skin was really crispy and almost see through that it was fatless.
I usually avoid meat on the bone items on the go because it is hard when there is no knife and fork or plate but I still tried it.
I assumed that because I had no knife and fork I would leave a lot of chicken meat on the bone because the chicken is usually firmly attached to the bone, however it was weird, the chicken came of so easily and the texture was tender just like spring chicken.
I have never eaten a chicken leg to the point that all the chicken meat came off the bone without effort or the use of knives and forks!!
Not only was it soft, the chicken was not even dry.
The taste of Chinese style fried chicken was actually quite nice for the first time that I could finally see why people get so excited eating this.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Went there another time to try the chips.
Chips:
Too burnt and crispy for my liking, but this is probably Hongkie style.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Beef steak with egg, luncheon meat, frankfurter and curry sauce:
I made a mistake ordering this because I didnt realise it came with so much meat!
The curry sauce was really weak and I probably should have ordered the curried beef belly because the curry paste that they use is different.
The curry sauce was meant for the chips but the chips were too burnt for my liking which was slightly ruined.
Same old problem, it was hard eating with plastic spoons and forks especially when there is a steak involved.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Soup:
The soup was quite nice
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
But overall I would definately come back for the chicken again and they have quite a few special items on the menu which seem quite good if they can cook it in a small place like this.
The food here is really cheap, the most expensive item only costs $32, and you can even get a King prawn fried rice for $30.5!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...