Thursday, January 02, 2014

I Do Like Fish & Chick Beside The Seaside

Fish & Chick (Western District)
Ever since The Chippy closed down in the heart of Central, I have been looking for a good place for Fish and Chips.

When I heard about this new chippy I had to go there ASAP~
This place is called Fish & Chick serving my beloved roast chicken too!

Located in Kennedy town and facing the sea, it was the best location to ever be in Hong Kong!
A real decent seafront without anything in the sea such as the Hongkish ferry harbour or those small smelly boats in Sai Kung which pollute the seafront with the smell of petrol.

Kennedy Town has the best sea view in my opinion, you can see and smell sea air which reminds me of the seaside town I was born in.

Luckily I was born in the scenic Victorian town of Eaxtbxurxe down the south east by the sea, so I could take a stroll anytime along the seafront, the pier and at the other neighbouring seaside towns.

I fell in love with Fish and Chips one day when my grandma took me to Qualisea.

During the summer people would flock there to get some tan on the pebble beaches.

Just for fun I have changed the lyrics to the song:

[I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside - A song composed at a time when the yearly visits of the British working-class to the seaside were booming]

Oh I do like Fish & Chick beside the seaside
Oh I do like Fish & Chips beside the sea
Oh I do like to walk along the prom prom prom
Where the brass band plays tiddly-om-pom-pom
Just let me have Fish & Chips beside the seaside
I’ll be beside myself with glee
There are lots of fish
That I’d like Fish & Chick besides
Beside the seaside, beside the sea

Anyway when I got there, it was the Chippy I had in mind!
Decorated in sea blue with cartoon fonts.

[Note! The people dining at the front and the stools happen to match the decor!!]

On the walls they had oars and a boat wheel which really reminded me of seaside towns.



At the far end, I loved the neon letterings of the name.

When you dine there, there is an amazing view of the sea!
There is a lovely fish and chip shop smell too.

The menu had fish and chips and there were quite a few choices for fish such as Cod, Ling, Red snapper, Barramundi etc.

It was like a combined menu from ChipIn (Sai Kung) and SeaSalt (Mosque Street) because it features the fishermans basket (squid, prawn and fish) and the use of canola oil just like ChipIn.
The choice of fish on the menu and the price reminds me of Seasalt.

I came here a few times because I had to try the different fishes as well as roasted chicken on the rotisserie which they marinate there.


They have nice designed boxes for takeaways too.

Here was what I had!
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
COD and chips:

The cod was divine! It was flakey and chunky.

The best thing was that cod skin was attached which added to the flavour just like the ones in the UK.
On the side there was tartar sauce, salt flakes and vinegar, the salt flakes were amazing with the fish because it enhanced it without being too salty.
It was good that it came with a side of vinegar because vinegar is a must with Fish and Chips but I would prefer shaking it out of a bottle because it gives an even distribution of vinegar and I can put as much as I want.
It kills the fun not being able to shake it from the bottle.
As for the chips, they tasted nice with the fish but they were not the chips I was looking for.
The fish was a bit watery which you can see from the picture.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Roast chicken with mash:

The chicken was tender and amazing and it had lovely stuffing rubbed on the other side.
I loved the crispy chicken skin!!
It was good that they put effort and sliced the chicken into smaller chunks before serving.
However the gravy tasted a bit like coffee and the mash tasted like instant mash mix which was a bit dry but saying that instant mash mix tastes good.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Ling and chips:
Compared to the COD, the texture of the Ling fish was dense and slightly dry.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Anyway! I will be back and I do like to be beside the seaside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...