Sunday, November 26, 2023

Authentic Ghanaian delights at The Kenkey House - Croydon (Danyame's Kitchen)

I've tried my fair share of Jamaican food but less of Ghanaian because there are less of them around unless you look for it.
Fortunately, I ran into The Kenkey house which offers an array of authentic Ghanaian delights like peanut soup, Kenkey, turkey tails to Waakye.
So as a foodie, I had to try it all.

To start off, I tried the peanut soup with rice balls which is sold frozen or reheated so I bought it frozen so I could have it at home at my own time.
It is interesting to see that many cuisines have peanut soup/stews/curries for example Ecuadorian guatita peanut stew, Brazilian peanut XinXim to Asian Satay sauce.
After trying all oft he above, the Ghanaian peanut soup was the best as well as the Ecuador and Brazilian peanut dishes because they are not sweet.
At The Kenkey House, the peanut soup comes with rice balls.
The soup was simply loaded with meat and offal and the peanut soup was the star of the show, it was spicy and peanutty.
The chilli and heat reminded me of the Chinese hot pot broths so it was really appetizing.
[My photo does not show it looking like soup but most of it was in the container, I just took the meat and offal out for the picture]



The KenKey was like two big balls wrapped in leaves.
It was quite dense and goes well with fried shrimps and soups.
The leftovers can be made into drinks by blending it with milk according to the staff.
The Kenkey was like a mush which tasted sour like fermented injera.

Trying Ghanaian Waakye for the first time.
Waakye is rice and beans cooked with red dried sorghum leaf or limestone which gives it that red colour.
This dish is often found on roadside stalls served in wrapped banana leaf Sri Lankan lamprais.
It is accompanied with a boiled egg, Wele stew, garri, shito, vegetable salad of cabbage, onions and tomatoes, spaghetti etc.
It really depends what they put in.
The crushed orange powder is a bit like Brazilian farofa. 
To summarize, I loved the rice and peas and then you get the flavours from the accompanying stuff which can be quite spicy.
Overall, I felt it was really similar to a Indonesian nasi lemak but nicer.



Last but not least the Turkey Tails (Tsofi/chofi) are actually fried turkey bums which is interesting.
In the Chinese cuisine, some people like to eat Chicken bums.
Anyway, the Turkey tails were super spicy and quite fatty for my liking but a good experience for the sake of trying.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...