Sunday, June 13, 2021

Jamaican treats and Cake & Custard treats at After Hours - New Cross Gate

Spotted some Cake and Custard TREATS at After hours so if Cake and Custard is off your radar you can get them from here.
I was captivated by these amazing battered prawns, rice and peas, mac and cheese as well as plaintains.
Anyway as I was leaving the area, I made a special trip again to New Cross Gate just to try After Hours.
It seemed pricey for a takeaway but this is the only place that serves battered prawns with Jamaican food!
Judging by what I saw and the pictures I took, the prawns looked big and succulent in a crisp sweet batter but the problem with fried food, you have to ideally eat it asap before it goes soft.
Unfortunately, there was no where nearby to eat so I had to travel a 45 minute journey home so it was bound to get cold so I had to consider to eat it warm or think of a good way to reheat the prawns.
As planned, I ordered the battered prawns, rice and peas, mac and cheese.
To my surprise, they were generous with the prawns and gave me 10 along with the sides.
The portion was so big that I just ate the rice and peas with prawns that night and had the mac and cheese for lunch the next day.
The battered prawns did not disappoint apart from the batter being a bit soft, they were glazed in this lovely sweet and sour sauce with a chilli kick similar to Kung Po Prawns but I doubt any Chinese Takeaway would give you 10 prawns!!!
The mac and cheese alone was cheesy and comforting just like school style mac and cheese.
Overall, I am so glad I tried this and hopefully I will be back again sometime to try the chicken fried rice and other mains!
Rating: 4/5







battered prawns










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...