Saturday, January 08, 2022

Persian Kunafe (Knafeh) at Mawlana

Kunafe (Knafeh) is a popular Middle Eastern dessert made of spun pastry in syrup with a layer of cheese or clotted cream or nuts depending on the area.
I don't know why but there so many spellings for it eg kanafeh, kenafeh, knafeh, kunafah, kunafeh, konafa, kunafa.
There are other versions found in Turkey and Greece as well.
Having found Turkish desserts really sweet, I tried the Egyptian version in Edgeware.
You will find a whole street of Persian restaurants and cafes there.
I chose Mawlana because I saw a glorified version of it topped with clotted cream.
Sadly, the one I got didn't have clotted cream on top and traditional ones don't have cream on top but I can imagine it tasting even better with cream.
Although, it wasn't topped with cream, the chewy dessert was really decadent and not too sweet with some nuts and apricot at the bottom.
Will probably buy Knafeh from a Persian grocery shop and add cream to it myself!

Mawlana Restaurant:
161 Edgware Rd, Tyburnia, London W2 2HR










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...