Friday, February 14, 2020

[Restaurant Review] Flour and Grape Gigli

With so many fresh pasta restaurants about, Flour and Grape was another one that was worth checking out.
It is located near London Bridge on the corner of Bermondsey Road.

When I got there, I was greeted with a chefs making fresh ravioli and other pastas through the window.


I was lucky that I was early because the restaurant was quite full within twenty minutes after I sat down.


Before you order, they serve you sparkling or non water on the house.

The menu:

There were nine pastas to choose so I had to reduce my choice to one.
Clearly it was going to be the Gigli as I have had my fair share of ravioli and parpardelle at other places. To be honest, to compare I should compare like with like but not every pasta place serves the same pasta with the same sauce.
They also had taglierini with truffle but again I have had countless plates of pasta with truffle.

I ordered the Gigli which is pasta that looks like carnation flowers.
Gigli ~ sausage, fennel, chilli ragu, broccoli fiolaro

When it arrived, it did not disappoint.
Every mouthful was tasty especially because of the sausage and fennel.
In a way, it tasted like the Pappardelle with fennel sausages & peppercorn ragu at Padella except the pasta was different.

The gigli here had broccoli as well which complemented it nicely with some vegetables and green for the visuals but perhaps a little over cooked because the green was a bit dark.
Overall, I was impressed with the pasta and don't mind coming back again if there is something different on the menu.

Returned three years later and the prices have obviously gone up.



This time I had the monkfish Linguine with tomato, garlic, chilli and the Pappardelle beef short-rib ragu.
I was not fond of the monkfish Linguine because it was too salty and garlicky.



The Pappardelle beef short rib was really satisfying while the portion was big with generous pulled short rib meat.
I felt that they executed it better than Padella.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...