Monday, September 21, 2020

[Restaurant Review] African Delicacy Restaurant - Moimoi

This restaurant used to be Don's Cafe but now it is African Delicacy Restaurant.
I think ADR has been in Croydon for a while because it does come up on google.
It offers the usual fare like Jollof rice, moimoi, okra soup etc.
As I have already tried Jollof rice and okra soup elsewhere I went for the moimoi.
Moimoi is a Nigerian steamed pudding made from black-eyed peas, red peppers that give it that the colour and onions.
It has a lovely flavour owing to Crayfish according to youtube videos and they also put boiled egg in it but the one at ADR did not have egg or perhaps egg is optional.

I knew I was going to like moimoi because I love crayfish.
The moimoi at ADR did not disappoint because it was really tasty and you could really taste the umami from the seafood.
The texture was soft and similar to pureed food so it was comforting.
Somehow I could taste crab but I am not sure but anyhow it was delicious and tastier than the Chinese version.
There is a similar pudding in Hong Kong with black eye peas where they add five spice powder and preserved sausage.
For the mains, I had the Swallow meal which came with pounded yam which is always eaten with soups.
The pounded yam is similar to mashed potato but thick and stickier which helps to fill you up like potatoes and rice.
So for the soups, I believe I had the ogbono and eforiro soup.
Both were tasty but in different ways. I liked the ogbono because it is slimey so when you put the pounded yam, the soup hangs well.
The eforiro soup was like sharp tomato soup with spinach and spices, another comforting thing to eat on a cold day.
To finish, I had the sweet dumplings which was similar to a Chinese donut but miles better because it was not too sweet and the texture was springy.
The Chinese donut is much bigger but too airy and eggy inside so the Sweet dumpling is much nicer as well as English donuts.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...