Saturday, November 05, 2022

Francesinha at Three Lions, O farol and the supermarket ready meal version

If you like gravy, bread, cheese and ham then you would probably love the Portuguese Francesinha which is an overloaded sandwich drenched gravy.
My first and best Francesinha led me to Three Lions at Nine Elms, an unassuming restaurant that is Portuguese.
I was quite shocked it was priced at £18 but found out why when it arrived.
There was too much meat to cope with, but it explains why it costs £18 as there are two quality steaks inside as well as the sausage and ham shown on the plate with fries as I put them aside.
Overall, I really enjoyed it because I love cheese, bread and egg and the beer gravy sauce was fantastic as it was bitter and tasted like marmite.
The chips they served were decent house cut chips and not the ones bought from suppliers.
Soaking the chips in this sauce was simply divine.
I appreciate the tasty cheese they used and not tasteless chewy mozzarella.
Francesinhna is so popular that you can buy frozen ready to bake versions at Portuguese supermarkets.
I actually made a sandwich swimming in gravy that I posted which is how I found out about Francesinha from a Portuguese follower.




The next restaurant was O'farol priced at £12.
It was nice but the beer sauce was not as rich as Three Lions and the cheese was tasteless while the fries were cold.
It's not the first time I've dined at O'farol because their fries are usually hot.
Anyway, although I do not recommend the francesinha, their octopus, seafood and lobster rolls are brilliant.



Frangus Francesinha moda do Porto.
This is a ready meal version of the Francesinha which is a sandwich filled with meat and sausages topped with melted cheese, beer sauce and a fried egg.
I believe I followed the instructions, but the bread turned out chewy and dehydrated so you are probably better off thawing the product to room temperature and then microwaving it for a few minutes.
Overall, I just didn't like it.
There are other brands as well so I might try them out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...