Saturday, September 25, 2021

Malaysian Street food at The Spice Lab - St. Mark's Church turned food hall

I don't eat much Asian food in UK and if I do it has to be worth me going!
This year has been interesting, all the Asian places I have dined seemed to be owned by Malaysians like Olympic Cafe, Eat Lah and Ong Ong buns!
My visit to Mercato Mayfair was mainly because of the location being a church turned food hall!
At the entrance there is a delicatessen and when you go inside you are greeted with a hall of tables with the eateries on the side.
On the ground floor, there is a pasta bar and pizza and upstairs you have the Asian eateries.
Upstairs, I was struggling to choose between the ramen or the Malaysian joint but in the end I decided to have Malaysian fare mainly because the rice is visually striking and I can compare it to EatLah.
I didn't feel like curry so the lady was really nice to do me some chicken satays with their signature tricolour rice.
The food was served on a plate so I was confident I could get photos of it with the alter on the background and not dropping food on peoples' heads!
The owners were really nice and gave me a roast coconut drink which I had at home.
Overall, the chicken satays were tasty, they were sweet itself and the sweet peanut sauce gives it more depth.
The star of the show which was the rice, was my favourite especially the blue rice coloured by blue butterfly pea flower and the tasty yellow turmeric rice.
Also seen on their instagram, they also have green matcha rice and charcoal rice.
Definitely recommended but I plan to come back on a weekday when it is quieter.



Other photos of the church:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...