Saturday, September 25, 2021

Squirty Egg custard Buns from Bunhouse (8unhouse)

Although Asia started the instaworthy dimsum bun trend, I feel that the quality of Chinese food is actually better in the UK in terms of quality, freshness and presentation.
Anyway, Bunhouse is famous for these squirty egg custard buns and the way the buns are presented.
Bun has been open for a while now and the menu has changed quite a few times.
In a way, I liked their initial bun menu but I can understand it was taken off as the filling are not your conventional bun fillings.
The buns that I liked were the Chicken bun (filled with chicken, pate, miso), Fish bun (filled with cod, prawn, chilli oil and basil), Red Choc Bun (filled with dark chocolate, pig blood and chilli).
The fish was definitely unique because they don't have buns filled with fish in Hong Kong.
Each bun is stamped with its flavour which makes them easy to distinguish as well as giving it a signature look as no other place does that.
Sadly, I also missed their rainbow bun in 2019 which was so pretty.




On my first visit, I had their signature custard bun and the lamb! 
Unfortunately, I got the bad one of the batch that day which didn't squirt and the base of the bun was stodgy as it wasn't steamed long enough.
At the bottom of the bun there was some weird doughy pile in the middle.
I could have told them but I decided not too and revisited another time.
Had it been another person, it could have been their first and last visit.




The second visit was much better, the bun was stamped better and you could see it was pure liquid custard in the middle.
Overall, the bun was tasty and not too sweet.

Also tried the lamb and beef which it is filled with quality chunks of meat inside and not crappy meat like in Hong Kong.



Overall, I would recommend visiting for the custard buns.
Hopefully they will serve the rainbow buns again.

As well as Chinatown, Bunhouse have just opened another branch at Hawley Wharf.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...