Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Light Lunch at St Johns

I have heard so many good reviews about St Johns but it is one of those restaurants that you can't really dine alone.
The only item I have tried from them was their doughnut from the Bakery however recently I got hyped on Calves liver because it was done right so found out that St Johns had it too hence went there to have a nosy at the menu.
It turns out they also have a Wine bar which is casual featuring smaller plates tapas style which was perfect for me.
They also had Ox liver which made my day so I dined there.
As well as that, I had the Nettle and Ham soup and the Roasted Bone marrow with parsley Salad.


Roast Bone marrow and parsley salad.
I ordered this by impulse and definitely do not regret it but looking around everyone else's bones were taller and bigger than mine!
Anyway, it was probably for my own good as I wasn't sharing especially all that cholesterol.
It is really good how they just baked it like that and did not cut the bone horizontally as you lose a lot of the good stuff like that.
This was the best bone marrow experience I have ever had because it was not ruined by garlic or herbs.
The parsley salad was a match made in heaven as it was literally soaked in lemon juice which makes it appetizing on the sourdough with the marrow and its grassiness.
It would have been nice if the toast was not so burnt because the edges were not edible.


Ox Liver, Chicory and Anchovy.
After tasting some amazing Calves liver that was done right, I have been trying to go somewhere that also delivers.
Most restaurants that I wanted to go mainly do liver and onions or bacons using Calves Liver or Ox.
I stumbled upon St Johns which serves this and found out that it was on the daily specials menu so how could I not try.
I had the Ox Liver, Chicory and Anchovy which was from the wine bar. 
It really made my day as it was something different from liver and onions yet it was so tasty.
The Ox liver was sliced and tossed with chicory in a creamy sauce flavoured by the anchovies and chopped parsley.
It was simply delicious and the texture was beautiful a it was soft and velvety just like pigs liver when it is done right but it does not have that offal taste like pigs liver.
I was expecting the Ox Liver to not be as good as Calves but it was just as good.
Overall, I was really impressed to try another liver dish served so differently to liver and bacon.

Nettle and Ham soup!
This was my second time having nettle and again it was blended.
The first time was nettle pasta as a sauce and now soup with ham.
Basically the nettle was blended.
I kept finding white cubes which I thought was potato but it was the fat from the ham which was horrific.
There were tiny pieces of ham here and there though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...