Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Ein netter Kuchen mit einer rührenden Geschichte

I came here because of the recent craze for Juchheim’s Baumkuchen rolls.
I hesitated trying them because there is another brand called 森の卷 Gâteau Roulé sold at TASTE which were hard and extremely sweet.

The ones here fared slightly better, they were softer and less sweet and had some crisp coating on the outside.
It was nice but failed to impress me to get it a second time, however I will try the Gâteau Roulé again to see if they taste different since it was a long time since I last tried it.

Although the name Juchheim is German I was rather intrigued why these Baumkuchen rolls originated from Japan.
It turns out that Karl Juchheim was a Prisoner of War in Japan. Before he was sent to Japan, he was surprisingly based at Jiaozhou Bay in the Shandong Province of China.
Jiaozhou is known to the Germans as Kiautschou.
After World War 1 started, Tsingtao was sieged and Karl was sent to interment camps in Okinawa thus starting his Juchheim business there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...