Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Valentine's Dinner preview at Mo’ Mangio!

I was really chuffed that I got to try the upcoming Valentine's set from Mo' Mangio!, a takeaway/delivery kitchen in Kentish Town.
As I say, the menu (even without pictures) is always the best indicator whether you will like the food or not.
Some menus can be long or short but the key for me is the percentage of items that captivate you.
It is like going out with a new friend, you can just go by feeling and know whether you get along or not which works for me anyway.

The Valentine's menu at Mo' Mangio was to my liking, the design got me and upon reading the starter, main and dessert, it was for me.
Somehow, my eyes went straight to dessert because I liked that Englishness that I could relate to with custard and strawberries.

Starting from the starter, it was Frisella Strange Love, an Apulian artisan baked loaf infused with herbs water topped wild rocket salad, beetroot, capers, walnuts and shaved Pecorino cheese.
Frisella is like an Italian bagel which is hard and crispy that is soaked with flavoured liquid before serving to make it soft.
It was my first time having Frisella a Puglian dish, I loved the texture as it was light, crisp and soft like a mild crispy choux that was complimented by the tasty toppings especially the beetroot and capers.
You can really taste the herbs when you eat the Frisella.
I really appreciated the beetroot because it natural and not overly seasoned like some places .

Next was the Tagliatelle Lemon and truffle.
Pasta is a must for Valentine's just like the iconic scene of the Lady and the Tramp.
Anyway, I love Tagliatelle more than anything else because it hangs the flavours and sauce well.
The tagliatelle actually blew me away because the lemon really made it moreish and the star of the show.
It was tangy and zesty real lemon which I really appreciate and then you have some truffle to give it that sophistication.
Everything was in harmony as well as the Parmesan.

To finish off, the Cuddle Cream Tart was a good ending.
Obviously, you can opt for traditional Tiramisu but for Valentine's, the romantic red strawberry tart seals the dinner with a lovely sweet kiss.
I loved the jelly glaze and crisp strawberry pieces in that delightful custard cream on that homemade tart base.
It's something different to your usual Italian dessert yet quite comfortingly English in a way.

The small hand crafted gift was a nice touch for me because I love fish and chips and it was a chippie fork with a lovely crocheted red rose on it.
Chefs Roberta and Alessio are seriously passionate about their food and have thought out well the execution, ingredient pairing of the dishes from scratch to how it should arrive in the best form when it is delivered.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...