Thursday, October 18, 2012

Delicious Apple and BBQ pork turnover @ DDSSS

I came here purely for the BBQ pork puffs which had apple in it.
I thought this was a good pairing because Western roast pork is served with apple sauce.

When I sat down, I saw that this place was recommended by TIMEOUT and NEWSWEEK both Western publications so if two Western publications recommend restaurant this then the food here should taste as good as the Dim Sums in UK.
In the end, I liked it because the items were not too sweet or oily which was different from One Dim Sum which was also recommended but by Michelin.
I am not sure how Michelin rates the restaurants in Hong Kong and if the people who try the foods are local people or Westerners because Westerners and locals have different requirements and tastes.

Anyway I only ordered three items including the Summer combo because I already had dinner.
In general the menu range is quite good and innovative.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Apple and BBQ pork turnover:
I did not like the pastry because it was the typical extremely buttery and heavy type of pastry.
However the filling was really nice, there was lots of stewed soft apples inside, but if it tasted tart as well then it would have been perfect.
The shape of these puffs look like the Western apple turnovers so visually they were quite cute because they were quite small.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
3.6 Hokkaido Milk pudding with strawberry sauce:
The sweetness was just right and the pudding texture was really light.
The milk taste was not that strong.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Honey comb pudding:
It is not literally a honeycomb but I guess they named it a honeycomb because of its structure.
I wanted to try this and I thought I was not going to finish the rest due to its sweetness but it was so nice I finished the lot.
It was delicioius eating it hot too because the black sugar taste was really prominent. and its texture is really moist and different to cakes. It has a structure similar to a crumpet but the capillaries are much finer!
The texture is not exactly like a cake and not exactly like a steamed cake but springy.
Anyway this was my favourite item and it also tasted like an American Pancake but the taste was much stronger but not too sweet!
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Restaurant interior:
There was a toilet as well which was reasonable clean.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...