Saturday, March 31, 2012

Prepared for the worst and last @ 龍門大酒樓

I have heard so many comments on this place, mostly regarding how dirty it is, I was even told they had spit buckets in the olden days, so this would be one of my last options on the list.

I had previously noted a few dishes that I would be interested in trying if I went there, which was the baked fish intestines, fried scallops in taro mash, and the fish head. Then I read the review that it would be closing down, so I decided to give it a visit. I arrived in the early evening, and managed to get the last table, as the rest of the tables already had bookings due to people flocking to try it before they close.

The restaurant was not as dirty as I imagined, just old and ancient with a stench. Maybe it is messier in the daytime when there is more people hustling about.

The menu was hand written, it looked like those ghost writings in the Chinese ghost films, the menu was very hard to decipher, and not all items were listed. The fried scallops in Taro mash had to be enquired for. Luckily I read about this place beforehand, or I wouldn’t have been able to know what to order.

The scallops in taro tasted quite good, although slightly over fried, but the taro was velvety. The fish head was slightly crispy and nicely flavoured with ginger and spring onions.

The ironic thing is, some places you would never want to visit, but only because it is closing down, it becomes a place to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...