Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hotdogs @ Wing Lok Yuen Restaurant

Came here to try their famous hot dogs, they are very cheap at $10, and $12 for two sausages.

I wanted compare the hot dog here and the hot dog at Denmark bakery, I was expecting the one at Denmark to taste better but I felt that the one here tastes much nicer.

Both these hotdogs are Hong Kong style hotdogs with mayonnaise.

If they had English on the menu, I would have ordered the hotdog with double sausage, and it would have tasted better too!

Overall breakdown of the hotdog:

Bun:
Fresh, warm and soft, and didn’t collapse when held.
It is a normal bun, not those horrible chinese sweet buns or the ones glazed with egg white or topped with sesame.

Sauce:
Its aroma and taste was sweet on impact, it was fairly generous and there were pieces of gherkins in it.
The taste had a vanilla base in it, it tastes like a mix of chinese mayonnaise, chopped gherkins and the famous HK condensed milk.
If I had ordered the double sausage, there would be less sweetness in it.

Sausage:
This was surprisingly good too, the sausage was grilled and the skin was wrinkly, yet inside the sausage was piping hot and soft and juicy.
The texture reminded me of a chipolata sausage, and the taste was really nice.
The sausage skin and meat was slightly separable rather unlike usual frankfurthers.
The only drawback was the sausage was too small for the bun, it was mostly eating the bun until you got to parts where the sausage was present.

Wing Lok HD vs Denmark HD

Bun: the bun at WL was much nicer, the Denmark one was too crispy for my liking.
Sauce: the sauce at WL was a winner, there was more, but not my cup of tea.
Sausage: WL was definitely the winner, because the one at Denmark was salty and chalky, the Denmark one felt like it had grounded shell in it.

Although, Chinese hot dogs are not really my cup of tea, WL is definitely a winner for the two.
I would have preferred simple ketchup and mustard.

As well as the hotdog, I also ordered chocolate tea, I wanted to ordered the instant noodles with bitter melon.
Their noodles and afternoon sets are quite pricey, prices ranging from $41+

The chocolate tea tasted nothing as nice as the real instant packaged Lipton choc tea.
It tasted like hong kong tea mixed wtih milo powder, definatley not my cup of tea, but i suppose it is slightly better than normal HK tea as I managed to drink more than one sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...