Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stirring Belgium chocolate that causes a stir @ Hui Lau Shan

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
To warm up for winter, lets play a game of spot the difference!
If you have read my HLS reviews before, you will know what I am talking about.
sad!
◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
The last drink I had at HLS was the chocolate fruit drink, it was extremely nice, but it depends which branch you go because I found it inconsistent.
I really like the way HLS is slowly changing its image by serving almost Western drinks with some Chinese elements to it.
The design of the cup is similar to the Western brands of coffee with a slight Taiwanese touch to it.
It is quite interesting their recent products such as the choco fruit drink and this drink do not feature their corporate image.
HLS design VS Pacific coffee
HLS design VS Pacific coffee
 
Anyway, I tried to order this drink when I dined there, but I didnt realise it was Takeaway only!!
The fine print: Take away only
The fine print: Take away only
 
I felt that it killed the fun because as a Takeaway drink, the solid chocolate on the spoon was already in the cup of hot milk with the lid firmly on.
It took away all the magic of visually stirring it and seeing it turn from milk into chocolate and virtually impossible whilst walking through packed streets with the lid on.
But with a lid clasped firmly on, and for takeaway, it takes the fun and magic away.
Anyway it totally defeats the purpose being called Stirring Belgium Chocolate.

It should be served A la Carte with the spoon of solid chocolate and the drink served separately so you can have the fun of putting the chocolate into the hot milk and stirring it until it magically turns into hot chocolate, afterall their poster is conveying stirring belgium chocoate.

However the magic could still be saved if they used a clear plastic cup, but the cup would be too hot to hold as a takeaway drink.
The weather is not helping too, because I love sipping hot chocolate in the cold, and frankly it is still summer to me.

I do not like milk but since this one had Belgian chocolate I decided to try it.
It was basically a cup of hot milk with a choice of Belgian chocolate, Strawberry chocolate or Mocha.
You also get a free condiment to put in the drink which is similar to the Taiwanese drinks, the choices are wheatgerm, purple rice or mini glutinous rice balls.

The service at this branch was poor, the staff didn’t seem to have any knowledge of the drink or perhaps it was new and no one had ordered it yet, the staff did not ask me which chocolate I wanted or which condiment I wanted. I had to tell her I wanted the mini glutinous rice dumplings.

I ordered the Belgian chocolate but when I opened the lid I saw bits of pink floating!!

They gave me the wrong chocolate, but luckily I chose the glutinous rice balls because I don’t like the combination of wheat germ or purple rice and strawberry.
the choc-spoon submerged in the milk
the choc-spoon submerged in the milk
 
solid choc attached to the spoon
solid choc attached to the spoon
 
Fully melted chocolate mixed with milk
Fully melted chocolate mixed with milk
 
Luckily I found a quiet spot to stir the chocolate before it melted and it turned out quite nice.
However there was SYRUP in it which made it too sweet and totally ruined it, but the scent of strawberry was really nice with the chocolate and not that fake.
The mini glutinous rice dumplings matched ok with chocolate and strawberry.
Next time I will request it without syrup
HUI LAU SHAN HEALTHY DESSERT
www.hkhls.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...