Friday, March 30, 2012

Half boiled egg in wine sauce @ Yat woon min

Previously visited this place for the noodles, it was relatively new that time, so I didn’t realised they left out the French beans on my noodles until I saw the other reviews.
[previous review]
http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/commentdetail.htm?commentid=2042517

I came back this time to try the egg with the runny centre, or sugar centred eggs as the Chinese call it.

It is good when places serve new items, it will make customers come back to try the new items, well I do anyway to try out the new things.

The egg was served in a bowl with about two spoons of wine sauce, the waitress told me to let it stand there for 2 minutes before eating it, as she said it came straight out of the fridge.
Before I started eating it, the chef also apologised that the eggs were over boiled so the centre wasn’t runny.

Usually the egg white is tasteless, but the egg white here was nice and flavoured, so the whole egg was fully flavoured.

The egg in wine sauce surprised me, I was expecting the wine to be like the drunken chicken type, which is watery, but the wine sauce here is slightly viscous with some chicken essence in it.
The wine taste wasn’t very alcoholic either, it didn’t leave the egg white tasting bitter.
The clarity of the wine sauce was slightly cloudy. The viscosity of the wine sauce is good at adhering to the egg giving it flavour.

Anyway, as the chef told me the egg was overdone, it didn’t ruin my expectations of a runny centre.



As I knew it was overdone I consumed the egg white first with the sauce, and left the egg yolk last.
The egg yolk itself already has a natrual flavour itself anyway, and it was slightly runny in the middle, so the texture was slightly sticky.

The wine sauce tasted exactly like 「女兒紅鳳爪」(chicken in wine sauce) served in Chinatown in the UK.
「女兒紅鳳爪」is a popular dish served at various restaurants in Britain’s Chinatown, but I can’t find it served anywhere in Hong Kong nor the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...