Thursday, March 29, 2012

McDonald quality fries @ Tokyo Bento

The bento boxes were Ok, but this time I tried the fries, which is slightly unusual to find in a Bento place, there was fried chicken a few shops away with fries, but I picked these fries because they are sprinkled with Perilla (Ji-So in Chinese) and these are the fries you get at McD’s.

Initially I thought they were sprinkled with seaweed, but they turned out to be Perilla (Ji-So). I have never tried it before, but in Asian cuisine they use a lot of it.

When I looked it up, it seems that Basil is also called Ji-So in Chinese, but Ji-So doesn’t taste like Basil.
Basil is mostly used in Italian dishes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perilla

The picture of Perilla is like a nettle leaf, and the reason for confusion is that Basil is Lor Lack in Chinese, and the Perilla is also called Japanese Basil, hence when I looked for Perilla, results of Basil also turned up.

Anyway, the fries were nicely fried, golden yellow and not over done, they were seasoned reasonably with salt, however I could not taste the Perilla despite there was quite a fair amount on the fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...