Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Since 1977 witnessing the Hong Kong 1997 handover and beyond

After numerous lunches at Queen Victoria, decided to try Old China hand.
It doesn’t look inviting from the outside that’s why I never ventured in.
The menu is pretty similar to QV, and on the walls inside there are old pictures of Hong Kong and Queen Elizabeth.
On the menu illustration it represents the best of the British with cartoon illustrations of John Major, Tony Blair, QE, Prince Charles, Camilla Bowles, Sean Connery and more.

Before the food came, the air conditioning felt rather cold, you could see the white cold air bellowing from the air con just like when you open the freezer door, the air con was dripping as well.
There was a slight smell too. However OCH has been around since 1977.
It has witnessed Hong Kong from the seventies to the Handover and now the 21st Century!

The staff there were extremely friendly and changed tables for me.

Ordered the Chili con carne and cottage pie.

First to arrive was the onion soup and toasts with real butter.
After starting on the toast and soup, it was so nice I forgot I was in a freezing environment with dripping air con.
Next came the Chilli con Carne and cottage pie.
When I saw the white sour cream on top of the Chili con Carne I was thrilled, the colour and smell was exactly the same as the British style CCC’s in UK.
I only put a small spoonful of the CCC in my mouth and I could taste the intense chili and cumin, and the red kidney beans tasted how it should. The side of rice that came with the CCC was interesting, it was slightly greased with coconut scent, and the texture of that rice was similar to glutinous rice but not as hard and sticky.

The cottage pie was also good too, it was baked in a ceramic dish.
Anyway I have to come back and try their breakfasts, Sunday Roast with Yorkshire pudding and lastly my favourite grilled cheese on toast!
Hope that they will serve Bubble and Squeak one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...