Sunday, April 01, 2012

Japanese kanten 寒天 Dessert @ Hui Lau Shan

After trying black sugar kanten in various desserts, I fell in love with the chewy dark brown jelly.

Kanten is the Japanese word for 寒天 meaning cold weather (according to Wikipedia).

I ordered the White snow with Kanten, which is just basically dessert tofu, mango pieces and mango sauce and Kanten.
I have a hatred for Asian mangoes, or to be more specific, amber coloured ones (phillipine ones). I only eat Puerto Rico mangoes, the one with a greenish/reddish skin.

Anyway, the dessert was presented nicely, I spooned some tofu with the jelly, and just a tiny bit of mango sauce, it tasted really good as expected. The bean taste in the tofu took away that nasty mango taste. The jelly was nice and chewy.

After a while, my mouth got a bit numb and couldnt really taste anything.

I rarely go to HLS, only when they have some hard to resist desserts/snacks, the last time I came was for the pancakes and curry sauce. It is not the sort of place I would go as I dont eat the traditional chinese desserts, and mangoes put me off from coming, so does watermelons, and the usual Hongkie stuff. So I wonder, what is the next dessert/snack that will make me visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...